[offtopic] 105.9 The Lazer

Derek Moore derekm at madcowi.com
Wed Sep 22 21:16:17 CDT 1999

> Since all the radio stations in this town of ours pretty much stink (I am
> not talking about the NPR stations) I spend most of my work day with my MP3
> player loaded and my cube is full of music. But I am doing this on a
> (*cough*) Windows machine. What can someone suggest as a good linux mp3
> player when I am at home?

Firstly, I agree. NPR rocks! It's the only good station we have left.
Hopefully it won't change formats! *grin* Long live 89.3!! <g>

Secondly, something else Linux related... About MP3s. XMMS [formerly known
as X11AMP] is probably the best Linux MP3 player out there. It requires
X11 and GTK+. Find it at www.xmms.org. If you're wanting a command line,
console based MP3 player then you'll wanna grap mpeg123. You can find it
just by searching freshmeat.net. If you're interested in encoding MP3s
then LAME is prolly the program to use. It has lots more features than
BladeEnc and produces better quality [IMHO]. In some cases it comes VERY
close to quality equal to FhG's MP3Enc [the cadillac of all MP3 encoders],
and in a few cases it surpasses FhG's quality. I don't remember their
website, just search freashmeat.net for it... And... If you're interested
in MP3 Streaming then Icecast is what you'll want. It is amazingly keen.
Check it out at www.icecast.org. Also... I'm very active in the Kansas
City local music scnene, mainly because I'm in a local ska band called
Captain Smokebomb & The Swabbies. But if anybody is interested in
listening I've setup an streaming MP3 iRadio broadcast of music from local
KC area bands. Just visit http://yp.icecast.org/ and search for Kansas
City to find the address for the radio stations... Just play the URL in
any good MP3 player to listen. It's pretty keen. The radio station is
broadcast from a Linux 2.2.12 SMP Dual Pentium Pro 200 MHz box. It's
broadcast out at 3 different bitrates; 24k, 56k, & 128k. And, of course,
it's powered by the lovely Icecast server.

Okay, I'm done now.

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore",
        "derekm at madcowi.com",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */