PHP install -- web hosting recommendations

DSparling at uexpress.com DSparling at uexpress.com
Mon Nov 8 22:25:30 CST 1999

>My first question is -- who has installed PHP and has a good set of
>directions to do it?   I installed RH 6.1 as a server the first time, but
>wanted to experiment with KDE.  I wiped that install and figured I could
>add Apache/PHP/mySQL at a later date.   Now I'm ready to put those back,
>but I can't find a RPM of PHP.   I'm not quite sure of how to install or
>even get PHP from another souce and "make" it.    Ugh!

I just installed PHP and MySQL yesterday on a Red Hat 6.0 box. You can
download PHP from http://www.php.net.

Other helpful links:
PHP/MySQL tutorial - http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/programming/php/.
PHPBuilder.com - http://www.phpbuilder.com/
Devshed - http://www.devshed.com/
phpWizard.net - http://www.phpwizard.net/
IBM:developerWorks - PHP -
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/web-php/index.html

I used the book "PHP3 - Programming Browser-Based Applications" by David
Medinets (McGraw-Hill). The book has detailed install information plus the
tarballs of MySQL, PHP and Apache (though you may want to download newer
versions).

>2nd question: Does anyone have any recommendations on web hosting here in
>KC?   I'm curious, I'd like to experiment on my home network and then put
>up some pages on a server to hit from the net.

Don't know about local, but HostPro has PHP.

Douglas Sparling      dsparling at uexpress.com
Web Programmer        http://www.uexpress.com
Universal New Media   http://www.uclick.com
May you do Good Magic with Perl.