PHP install -- web hosting recommendations

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon Nov 8 17:13:07 CST 1999

Hello -- I'm new to the list, and just getting my feet wet on this Linux
stuff.

First of all my background:

Webdeveloper since 1995
Started company called PandO.Net (Prosthetic and Orthotic Network - niche
market for web design) -- 1997
Started 2nd company called AccessZone Design (any type of company web
design) -- 1998
Left Lake Ozark areaa (where those companies were) to work for Sprint doing
Cold Fusion/Oracle
Now working again for PandO.Net/AccessZone but from my home in Blue Springs
Working primarily with WinNT/IIS/Cold Fusion -- 2+ years of Cold Fusion
programming knowledge

Present Linux knowledge (?):
Managed to get my LRP (Linux Router Project) to finally work for my home
network to share my ADSL connection
Downloaded/burned/installed Red Hat 6.1 (bought 5.2 in store last year)
*Nix background -- 3 out of 10 IMHO.

My first question is -- who has installed PHP and has a good set of
directions to do it?   I installed RH 6.1 as a server the first time, but
wanted to experiment with KDE.  I wiped that install and figured I could
add Apache/PHP/mySQL at a later date.   Now I'm ready to put those back,
but I can't find a RPM of PHP.   I'm not quite sure of how to install or
even get PHP from another souce and "make" it.    Ugh!

2nd question: Does anyone have any recommendations on web hosting here in
KC?   I'm curious, I'd like to experiment on my home network and then put
up some pages on a server to hit from the net.

Many thanks in advance for any/all help!

-- Bradley Miller