One more X question

Gene E. Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Fri Dec 31 18:55:25 CST 1999

Is there any way to force X to use 16bpp for the color depth?  I have a 16MB
AGP TNT based Video card and finally got X up in 1024x768, BUT I only have
8bpp.  It is that way in 640x480 and 800x600 modes as well.  In my
XF86Config file, I tried commenting out the 8bpp entry for my display, but X
would not even start up.  It said that I was missing an entry for 8bpp.  How
does the XF86Config file work?  Does it use the first display option that it
comes to?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gene Dascher