Suse install

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Feb 29 22:22:55 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Generally, software could be improved a lot by chaining the developers in the
> basement with an old XT and a 14" CGA monitor.  Give them 16M of ram and an
> RLL Hard drive to swap to.

I did finally get the install complete by 10:30 or 11pm.  System works
great, but I have to say that there is something wrong w/ the display
settings Suse has for my monitor.  The Monitor was listed in Sax2, but
initially it wouldn't work at 1024x768.  I lowered the frequencies a bit
on horiz. and ver. and it worked, but the picture is a bit fuzzy.  There
is nothing wrong w/ the monitor and the video card should be OK.  It's
an old ATI Rage Pro AGP 2x.  i would have thought that by now there
would be 3D support for this card, but not according to the Suse
install. i think I will go to the ATI site and see if I can find an RPM
of a more recent driver.  I like that even though I was using the
download version I was able to get drivers/programs for my TV Card at
install time.  RedHat 9 missed the boat on that one.