MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Online Job Fair

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Sat Feb 28 05:56:37 CST 2004

Jason Clinton wrote:

> There is an appropriate balance barrier however and I
> believe it wasn't even remotely approached by Jim's post.

Thanks for this defense Jason.  I felt that the post was perhaps
borderline, but mostly relevant.  One of the profile questions was
checking to see if you understood regular expressions, and another
question on valid HTML.  So, they are looking for people like some on
this list.  This post was about jobs for geeks, like myself, and most
others on this list.  It is not a particular job opening, per se, but
rather about a matching of people with geek skills, leadership ability,
and communication skills with organizations, yes probably liberal
activist organizations, that really need help from people with this rare
combination of skills.  If you don't have all three of these skill sets,
don't pursue this opportunity.  If your political leanings are to the
right, you probably would not be a good match for these organizations,
but you are certainly welcome to help out.

At this point, we don't even know what the organizations will be.  At
this point, it's an experiment to see if there really are people out
there with all those skills.  I feel that I have each of those skills,
although some may disagree with me on various parts of the skill set.  I
am, no doubt, deeper in some than in others, and maybe not great at any
one of them, but I feel reasonably balanced between the three.  I know
from reading the posts on this list for years that there are other
people on this list who do have at least two of these skills, and I was
targeting those people with my post.  It's hard to judge leadership
through a mailing list, but the other two are easy to identify, and I
know some of you out there have both technical and communication skills
and even a few with left leaning politics.  ;-)  I also know there are
people on this list who are deep in only one of these skills, and,
assuming you recognize this in yourself, should not apply for this
opportunity.  And that's OK to be strictly technical.  I totally respect
and admire that.  Everybody has their part to play, and the world is not
exactly flush with deep technical thinkers, so it's good to have you around.

So, you see, it really was more about geekdom, than politics.  The fact
that MoveOn.org is a progressive organization, is only a side note.  It
was definitely not political content.  Oh, I could fire some political
content about the government, especially of the last several years, but
I will hold my tongue, in deference to the list.  In the future, please
read and understand the whole message before making judgments about the
appropriateness of a particular post.  In fact, I just reread the
message, and the MoveOn.org message says nothing about the political
leanings.  If I hadn't added that warning at the beginning about the
right deep end, would it have contained any politics at all?

In addition, I think that Linux users tend to be activists of a sort.
They may, or may not be politically active, but most of us are activists
for freedom from the tyranny of Redmond.  It's not a huge leap from
linux activism to the activism of progressive politics.  Yet another
reason why I felt it was appropriate.  I'm not sending this to my DB2
list, because I don't feel the same way about those people.  I feel like
you guys care about stuff outside of your job, and are trying to make
the world a better place.  I don't get that feeling, and my feeling
could be completely misguided, but I just don't get that same feeling
from most of the DB2 community.  The linux world is a special community
in that respect.  I'm honored to be here.

Thank you for your time,
Jim Herrmann