Continuous speech recognition

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Feb 27 16:23:15 CST 2004

"ViaVoice Dictation is Java-based, making it perfect for cross-platform environments. With access
to the technology that powers ViaVoice Dictation, developers can integrate speech recognition into
the software they develop. This will help fuel more robust and accurate speech recognition tools.
For more information on ViaVoice technology, see www.ibm.com/software/speech."   From an article
back when it was released.
http://archive.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/08/28/000828opbiggs.xml

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <> 02/27/04 08:41AM >>>
What about IBM's ViaVoice?
 SuSE used to have IBM's ViaVoice for Linux (versions 7.1 to 8.something). Not sure if you can
still find it, but there used to be an RPM out there for it. You can buy it from IBM but I'm not
sure how. They did have free runtimes for Educators and there is also an SDK out there (or there
used to be).
But that was some time ago. Haven't heard much about it since 2002.
I believe XVoice used/uses the ViaVoice engine. Not sure if it includes
the engine. I may have a copy of the engine on CD or DVD at home. IBM
took down all the links to it some time back, but you may still be able
to buy it from them.

Here's a link to get one started to have a clue of what's out there and
how long it has been since there has been much activity.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/linux/speechrec.html