OT Cleaning up Windows computers

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Feb 25 06:25:03 CST 2004

Leo J Mauler wrote:
> I'm reminded of the recent "User Friendly" in which the tech guys install
> Linux on the marketing guy's computer, but he doesn't like it purely on
> M$ bias reasons.  So rather than uninstall Linux and reinstall WinXP,
> they stick a WinXP-like desktop manager onto the marketing guy's PC.  I
> recall he is surprised how quickly his menu bar opens.  :)

That was XPDE and the cartoon was hilarious.

> If the person you're helping is so clueless that they probably will never
> install anything on their own, and all of what they do with a computer
> has Linux analogues, then using a desktop manager that looks like their
> version of Windows could be one way of getting them into Linux.  :)

Unfortunately these people tend to have more money than sense and buy
gadgets they know nothing about without researching the best buy for the
money.  So you end up w/ some piece o crap flatbed scanner or camera
that will never work in Linux (unlikely anyway, never say never).