A shell script question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Feb 24 16:11:02 CST 2004

inline comments

I'll investigate these. Thanks!

> I like Jim's idea also to trick the script kiddies.
> Hopefully after all the protections your server doesn't run
> way slower than the old machine.
Let's hope not! I'm going from a P-75 to a PPro-200. ;')
(It's my 3rd most powerful machine, next to a 233 and a duron 750)
[Not all of us can have 3GHz Intels with 128MB Radeons.
 Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge. ... ;')]

> You might also think about something like this:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/ktools-oak/
> that can page, SMS message or email the admin about errors in
> syslog, etc.
Yeah, that sounds good. The previous box did all this in a package
(Mandrake w/ Bastille). This time I'm hand configuring the whole box
(debian Woody 2.4 patched). I'm really liking this debian distro.

Something starnge I noticed yesterday. I installed apache-ssl+exim+
squirrelmail. I don't see regular apache though. It's like I only
have ssl enabled apache and no httpd for port 80. I guess I installed
the wrong thing, or have to also install apache. Wierd.

Thanks again this is all good stuff,
Brian