LISP program

stevens at manhattan.lib.ks.us stevens at manhattan.lib.ks.us
Sat Feb 21 01:05:54 CST 2004

Unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am ... LISP is very similiar to
ML and OCAML.

I had to take a course last semester where we programmed in OCAML
(www.ocaml.org) and actually programmed a light version of a Java compiler
called 'Featherweight Java'.

Basically it's a Functional programming language and is not the easiest
language to learn for a beginner, I had a real hard time with it. You
would be interested in using a Functional laguage when you want to have a
well-typed program. Which basically means that your program is
'guaranteed' to run before run-time and makes your code very very secure.
I think buffer errors are impossible with well-typed programs ... I wish I
could remember some of the exact terminology for you but it's Friday and
my brain is retiring for the week.

I don't know if that made too much sense, but that is what I gathered from
taking the course. :o)

-Steven