School using Linux

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Feb 11 15:00:40 CST 2004

You can run a thin client image on a pentium 100 with 64MB or more ram.  Just use a 100mb NIC and a
decent video card (2-4MB or vram).  It's going to depend a lot on what you want to run on the thin
client.  If you run Icewm, fluxbox, xfce or other minimal WM, you can use a slower, older PC with
less ram.  If you want to run KDE or GNOME consider using more ram.  If you are not putting a HDD
or CDROM in the PC, use the saved $$$ to add more ram.   128MB would be nice.  You DON'T need a P4
3GHz with a gig of ram.  A P-II 300 up to P-III 800 would be nicer, but better as a stand alone PC.
 That might be the high end of your users.  Then again, I'm thinking of what you might get from the
used PC pile to refurb and put in this situation.  If you get your hands on 1GHz and higher PCs (a
lot of them) at a reasonable price, you can build your thin clients from there.  Makes it more
likely that you can use KDE, OpenOffice, etc.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Leo J Mauler <webgiant at juno.com> 02/11/04 04:53AM >>>

I can't find the answer to this question on the k12ltsp website, so I
thought I'd ask it here.

What is the minimum spec PC to run an older PC as a thin client on such a
network?  Minimum RAM and processor speed is what I'm thinking of here.