[OT] partialy I was wondering what suggestions for programing

Bryan Richard bryan at booknerd.net
Tue Feb 10 16:05:14 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 02:37:21PM -0600, Leo J Mauler wrote:

<snip />

> > I ask b/c I'm thinking of leaving technology altogether
> > w/in the next ten years to teach anthropology.  The
> > technology of 2,000 years ago seems much more
> > stable than what we do some days...
>
> Yes, its making me consider *education* as a career choice, given that it
> costs too much to outsource education of *children* to another country.

Yeah, even teachers in India make more than they do here.

> "Now class, watch the monitors as the nice man from India teaches you how
> to sing a song about rabbits and write your own name in cursive!"

I actually had something like this in High School. Pre-Internet, they
hooked three classrooms up via video cameras and you watched televisions
of the teacher and students from as far off as the next county. Woohoo!
The teachers rotated each semester.

Zero discipline, couldn't read the chalkboard, worksheets were faxed
back back and forth, &c. This was high technology back then -- I don't
recall computers be involved -- and I imagine that the video link cost a
pretty penny. It would probably not take much more than a couple of
modern PCs and an ISDN line to do the same thing now.

Not an ideal way of handling the education of Seniors in High School,
even if it was a bunch of nerds in AP Lit. I mowed through several
Stephen Kings in that class.

> I'll be the guy operating the monitor, if nothing else.  :)

"Mr Mauler, the vertical hold needs to be adjusted again..." ;-)

- Bryan