[OT] partialy I was wondering what suggestions for programing

Michael Shaw dbwizzard at kc.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 21:49:13 CST 2004

> Of course, companies outsourcing programming to India are losing fast
> too.  Re-integration of programming code written by an individual who has
> problems with the English language can cost almost as much as twice the
> cost savings of hiring lower paid Indian programmers.  For starters all
> the documentation, if there is any, is more likely to be in a different
> language than English.
>
> Now, India will eventually wise up, teach its programmers better English,
> and cut out the middleman in these outsourcing deals.  But until then
> companies will be losing their money in the longer short run by thinking
> they are going to save money outsourcing to India in the shorter short
> run.  And of course in the long run India will just charge them more
> money anyway.

1)   The argument about documentation being in some foreign language is
terribly weak.  I know because I have worked with some of these people in
the past 2 years and they speak better english then many of our high school
english teachers.  The reason corporate america is moving work their
direction is because they are highly intelligent, well educated, hard
working individuals who are willing to work for those wages.  In their given
circumstances this is a good wage and they happy to work hard for it.

2)  As for the lack of internal documentation, well this may be true.  But
no more true then it has always been.  In my 25 years I've always heard the
lament about poor documentation and the renewed efforts by business to
motivate/force programmers to document their code and yet the situation has
not improved appreciably.  So don't kid yourself that we american
programmers excel in this area.  Certainly not enough to pay an extra
$54.000/yr.

Michael Shaw
(816)525-2794
dbwizzard at kc.rr.com