[OT] partialy I was wondering what suggestions for programing

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 11:05:05 CST 2004

I prefer O'Reilly books. For two reasons:
they are well written and they are very supportive of
the OS
community.

You want a good book that will take you for initiate
to wizard?
How about diving right into c++:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pcp3/
It would make a good university textbook on beginning
programming. An excellent starting point. It should
teach all you need to know about programming, The rest
is all art
and logic. To round out your library you may want to
add a
books on asm, algorithms, shell scripting, database
coding, web programming, and any languages you want to
master.
But the only way to really learn is to begin writing
code. Assembler is basic if you plan ondoing driver
programming, although you could probably write drivers
and never use anything but c/c++. Sometimes though
it's just much more efficient to write a section of
code in assembler. But a poorly written assmbler code
can be much worse than a good piece of c++. Since many
compilers optimize. You will also want to learn about
your compilers and about optimizations they are
capable.
For assembly you'll probably have ti gi ti a
unuversity press like Wiley.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471375233.html

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

HTH,