Java and browsers

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 17:08:22 CST 2004

--- Shayne Patton wrote:

> "grep bin" narrows it down so you don't bring
> EVREYTHING up, just the
> bin, which is typically what you want (you can use
> the plugin.so thing,
> but often I've had just as much luck making a "ln
> -sf" to the actual
> java bin in the Mozilla plugins folder.
Ok , well it turns out java-common and java2-common
don't install java at all apparently. Because there is
no
java program period on the machine. How stupid is
that. I've installed sablevm which is a JVM, but it
also has no plugin and
I'm sure I'll need to read the directions to make
mozilla
see the sable java vm. There is an option to install
ibm jdk 1.1, but IBM no longer has that one available
apparently.  Then there is a blackdown debian package
and also a sun package, but you can't just apt-get
them because they are part of the debian package
lists. What a pain. I understand wanting OSS
solutions, but to make it this hard to make some basic
standard code install is stupid.

Well, now I have to do other things besides trying to
install basic functionality on my PC.

peace,
Brian