Debian / Libranet

Shayne Patton linuxh3d at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 03:05:27 CST 2004

Brian Mills wrote:

>I have a couple of questions regarding using Libranet to get a Debian system up and running.
First off, how much configuring does it take to bring the system up to spec with Debian standards?
And once it's up to Debian specs, which version of Debian is it based on?

>I'm just looking for an easier way to get Debian workstations up and fully functional.
>
>Brian Mills

If you're looking for the free Libranet, that'll be 2.7.  This version
is basically the equivalent of woody.  However, I have done an upgrade
distro (after changing my apt mirrors 2 deb-sarge) on it to get it more
recent.  This didn't work completely smoothly (they say use the debian
apt servers @ your own risk), though it was ok for the most part.  I
think for what you're wanting to do, you may have better luck w/ Bonzai
linux. ( http://www.gnulinux.de/ )  Babblefish will help.  Site's in
German, but the distro is english.  the whole thing is only like 400m or
so for the load (smaller w/ no gui).  I believe the latest version comes
w/ kde 3.2 or 3.14.  Once you get the very basics installed ( and
nothing more) it's easier to change your apt sources and update to the
version you want than if you have a fully packaged system.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=bonzai

Hope this helps some.  If not, tell me so I learn too please.  =)

Universally,
Shayne