KCLUG and it's virus's

Dre G. enabled at linuxjunkies.com
Sun Feb 1 00:36:12 CST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 10:07, Doug Bronson wrote:
> Group,
> Over the last week I have received over two dozen E-Mails from this
> group, that had contained various virus's. Most of them were from failed
> deliveries but nether the less, they were still received.
>
> This is starting to get way out of hand.
>
> After reviewing the headers of several of the infected E-mails, it is
> apparent that they are being relayed from
> "kclug-list at marauder.illiana.net", which I believe is where the KCLUG
> list(majordom at marauder [127.0.0.1]) resides.
>
> There has got to be something that we can do at a server level to
> control this problem. I say server level because as users, we can all
> rely on individual machine software to weed out the infected messages
> but the greater problem still remains.
>
> True, while running linux, the risk of infection is far less than if you
> are running windows but we still have to download the messages to tell
> whether or not it's something valuable or just more SPAM!
>
> I can speak for several members of this group, that if we can't get this
> problem under control we will be forced to remove ourselves from the
> list. Nobody wants to go to this extreme, but the risk of becoming
> infected ourselves, is becoming to great.
>
> I'm willing to do anything that I can, to help resolve this issue.
>
> Thanks for letting me rant.
> Doug Bronson

I am anal and personally sick of the waisted bandwidth. I mean, when
over 50 percent of the mail I am getting from this list is junk, then
just think about how much bandwidth is getting eaten up by this spam on
the kclug server itself.. ;(

I am going to give this 7 or so more days and if we have not made great
progress in the cleanup of this then I will silently /part the list. I
am sure there are many others that will/have soon as well.

kclug list owner operators, what can we do to help???
--
Dre G. <enabled at linuxjunkies.com>