Horde Speed question?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Apr 28 04:24:02 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 23:22, jcho at jcho.net wrote:
> This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet
> Service.  To view the original message content,  open the attached
> message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to
> disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original
> character set. <<message.txt>>

On top of which, your question is far from clear.

I generally run horde/imp, although I'm currently experimenting with
Evolution.  What you've done to render your messages unreadable by the
rest of the net I don't know.

I have not really noticed a speed difference since I switched from using
SMTP on the horde host to relaying through my local mailserver.  Sending
speed is reasonable, mail going out in three or four seconds.  Using
IMAP to view the mail on an Exchange server is pretty darned slow.  PHP
is an inherently slow protocol, and a lot of work has been done to
accelerate it, most of which breaks some standard and means you have to
recode something.

That said, a lot of factors can influence the speed of message
transmission.  The biggest thing to effect SMTP/Sendmail is problems
with DNS configuration.  Unless your system looks like a legitimate, DNS
supported host node from the local network, as seen by the Sendmail
host, you will have major problems.  Make sure that if your Sendmail
host is not a legitimate external host you are running a properly
configured internal DNS server and the Sendmail host knows about it.
Further, make sure that the Horde host is properly supported by at least
local DNS.