One more stupid question (No route to host)

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sun Apr 27 21:24:14 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, jose sanchez wrote:

> I typed arp -an and I don't get any output. I don't
> think are the cables or the NIC. I've already swapped
> them and nothing changed. ifconfig or netstat don't
> show any errors. What in the world is wrong?

Not having any ARP table entries is a big hint that your NIC isn't able to
communicate on the network due to bad wiring, a bad NIC, a bad driver, or
bad autonegotiation.

Are you using a switch or a hub?  What does "dmesg | grep eth" say on each
machine?  If one of them says something like "eth0 NIC Link is Up, 100
Mbps full duplex" and all of the others say "half duplex", you could have
a problem.