One more stupid question (No route to host)

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sun Apr 27 17:54:05 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Duane Attaway wrote:

> Do a "/sbin/route -n" to display the routing table.  Your target should be
> listed on 1) one of the destination addresses limited to its netmask for
> the specified interface or 2) a default route.
>
> "No route to host" means "none of the above" could be chosen, because no
> route was defined to get there.  There were no roads on the map to get
> there.  The packets did not have a highway to make the journey.  No roads
> were paved to get there.

On a LAN connection it can also mean "I don't have an ARP entry for that
machine."  You You might want to run "arp -an" to see if the destination
address is in your ARP table.  If it's not you might try running "netstat
-in" or "ifconfig eth<x>" to see if any errors are accumulating.  It could
be a bad NIC or a bad cable, or a case of autonegotiation gone awry.