One more stupid question (No route to host)

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sun Apr 27 15:29:12 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, jose sanchez wrote:

> I don't know what happened to one of my debian boxes. It was working
> fine until I had to re-wire the network. Now, everytime I try to connect
> to another box in the same network via ssh I get a "No route to host"
> error. The route is correct. I've changed wires, and everything else
> seems fine. Now, what could be the problem?

Do a "/sbin/route -n" to display the routing table.  Your target should be
listed on 1) one of the destination addresses limited to its netmask for
the specified interface or 2) a default route.

"No route to host" means "none of the above" could be chosen, because no
route was defined to get there.  There were no roads on the map to get
there.  The packets did not have a highway to make the journey.  No roads
were paved to get there.

You can make a route manually if you want:

/sbin/route add -host target.host.org eth0

where target.host.org is the ipaddress of where you want to go and eth0
would be the bus it will take.  Now you will have a route.  Your new
highway will now exist, but if there are houses on that road to answer
your knocks are another question.  You might then get to your destination
or get a "destination unreachable" or "connection timed out" error...

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org