very strange DNS problem, making me lose mymind

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Apr 23 23:02:58 CDT 2003

Walker (Zachary) Tippit wrote:

> Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to lookup a
> hostname from any of my networks, but the rest of the
> world can look it up just  fine?
>
> The domain in question is nbbc.edu.  It can be looked
> up from everywhere but my name servers, which seem to
> be operating just peachy.
>

> unsuccessful lookup:
>
> [root at ns1 named]# host -v www.nbbc.edu
> Trying null domain
> Trying domain "mydomain"
> rcode = 3 (Non-existent domain), ancount=0
> Trying null domain
> Host not found, try again.
> [root at ns1 named]#
>

> It works if I use their name server(by IP)
>
> [root at ns1 named]# host -v www.nbbc.edu 207.250.169.11
> Using domain server 207.250.169.11:
> Trying null domain
> rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=1
> The following answer is not verified as authentic by
> the server:
> www.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A       207.250.169.8
> For authoritative answers, see:
> nbbc.edu        38400 IN        NS      ns2.nbbc.edu
> nbbc.edu        38400 IN        NS      ns1.nbbc.edu
> Additional information:
> ns1.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A       207.250.169.11
> ns1.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A
> 207.250.169.111
> ns2.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A       207.250.169.12
> ns2.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A
> 207.250.169.112
> [root at ns1 named]#
>
> but not if I use their nameserver's name:
> [root at ns1 named]# host -v www.nbbc.edu ns1.nbbc.edu
> Error in looking up server name:
> [root at ns1 named]#
>
> However, it works from another machine on an entirely
> different but similar network:
> [root at mail named]# host www.nbbc.edu
> www.nbbc.edu has address 207.250.169.8
> [root at mail named]#
>
> I'm using bind 8.3.1-REL ..
> I just don't get it.. It's like my name server isn't
> going through the lookup process correctly, but this
> is the only domain affected.  ????????

It sounds like you have a domain resolution problem on your end.  Either
your name server is either refusing to resolve the nbbc.edu domain, or
your local server thinks it is authoritative for nbbc.edu (so it doesn't
forward queries on or do a recursive lookup itself) but doesn't have
proper information in it's zone file.

It's possible to easily setup either type of situation with the latest
version of bind.

Other than that, it's kind of hard to make a diagnosis without knowing a
lot more details about how your local name server is setup, and how name
resolution is configured on the machine running the "host" queries above
(check /etc/nsswitch.conf, and any files required for enabled protocols,
like /etc/hosts (files) and /etc/resolv.conf (dns)).  It's also possible
you could have something wrong with nis or nisplus (if you've got these
installed and enabled) or some other possible resolver (see man
nsswitch.conf for details).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net