Webmin security -- was: Hacked systems and the law

Phoenician phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Wed Apr 23 16:23:52 CDT 2003

I use webmin all the time and have it configured to work on SSL.
For extra security you can ratchet down access to it based on IP
address and specific users.  One MAJOR flaw in it though is that
it only supports passwords up to 6 or 8  characters and ignores
anything after that.  Ex: I am fond of long alpha-numeric passwords,
my shortest is about 9 characters and my longest is 23.  If I input
only 6 of say 10 characters it will accept that as the password as long as
the first 6 characters are correct.

Otherwise,  It's a great GUI for quick and easy administration,
especially when I go on vacation and my #2 needs to cover for me.

- Michienne