UDP Port 53

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 16:51:41 CDT 2003

Hello:

I have a couple of questions regarding hosting your
own DNS server.
1. Does RR blocks port 53 (udp) so clients can't run
their own server?

2. If no, Can port 53 be NATed and forwarded to an
internal box? Somehow my udp ports are blocked. I
double checked my firewall script and they are not
supposed to be blocked. I ran a UDP Scan and it shows
they are. Don't know why.

Well, I'm trying to setup my own DNS server so I can
get around the Virtual Hosting Problem I was having
last week but, I can't get it to work from the
Internet. I get timeout errors. I am running tinydns
and dnscachex; I allow certain ips on the Internet to
resolve from my server but they seem not to be
resolving.

The weird thing is that port 53 seems blocked but is
not:

iptables -A dns_rules -p udp -d $DNS_SERVER --dport 53
        -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

iptables -A dns_rules -p udp -s $DNS_SERVER --dport 53
        -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j
ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -i $EXT_NIC -o $DMZ_NIC -j
dns_rules
iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -i $DMZ_NIC -o $EXT_NIC -j
dns_rules

What else can I check for?

Thanks in advance for your help.