ACK! -- CONTINUED

James Sissel James.Sissel at labone.com
Mon Apr 21 15:16:48 CDT 2003

Even Forrest Gump knows it's not nice to go onto someone else's property
without permission.  It makes no difference if there are or are not "No
Trespassing" signs up.  Just the fact that "No Trespassing" signs exist
means people know that being on property that is not their own is wrong.

Therefore I don't care if I leave my doors wide open in my house I believe
it is wrong for my neighbors to start wandering through my house.  The fact
I must lock my doors is a sad commentary on the state of things.  I also
believe that if your Mommy didn't teach you *respect* (Oh, there's a word we
seldom hear anymore) for other people's property then the law should, prank
or not.

And blaming the victim because they didn't have a big enough lock on their
door isn't right.  Wrong is wrong and what the cracker did was wrong.  You
know it.  I know it.  The fact the cracker tried to cover their tracks shows
they know it.  Every effort should be made to find this person, "explain"
respect to them again, and give them an attitude adjustment.

That said, the punishment should fit the crime.  1000 hours of community
service painting over graffiti (at their expense) and a public apology for a
first time offender sounds reasonable.  Singapore might have something with
that public caning thing.  We should look into it.  If we find it's an adult
then even more severe measures should be taken.  Prank or not, they are
criminals and should be held accountable for their actions (another novel
idea in these times).