ACK! -- CONTINUED

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Apr 21 14:20:44 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, James Colannino wrote:

> Now if someone ever did this to my computer, I would just go ah, you got
> me and leave it at that; I would simply take is as a learning
> experience.  I believe that this is what we should all do as it is
> nothing serious.  But, that doesn't make it right either, and the
> comparison with breaking an entry stands solid, in my humble opinion.

A little more fuel for the fire if interested:

The upcoming SANS webcast on the 23rd appears to be perfect timing for us
in this thread.

{Cut and paste of the announcement.}

SANS Free Webcast, Wednesday, April 23 at 1pm EDT (1700 UTC) Legal
Liability For Information Security: Ask the Experts

A few weeks ago SANS broadcast our first web briefing on this topic. More
than three thousand people signed up and their near universal response
was, "More, Please!"

SANS is happy to bring you a complimentary webcast on Wednesday, April
23rd at 1pm EST (1800 UTC) entitled Legal Liability for Information
Security:  Ask the Experts.  Register at
http://www.sans.org/webcasts/042303.php

For years, security professionals have claimed that "one day people will
be held liable for weak security."  That day may have arrived, with class
action lawsuits, and HIPAA, and California's new disclosure law and more.

On Wednesday, April 23, three of the nation's top experts on civil
liability for cyber crime will be online to provide a brief overview of
important cases and trends and to answer your questions:

Marc J. Zwillinger, Chair of the Information Security & Anti-Piracy
Practice Group at Sonnenschein Nath and Rosenthal

Gregory P. Schaffer, Director of Cybercrime Prevention & Response for
PricewaterhouseCoopers

Orin Kerr, Professor of Law at George Washington University

The experts will first provide an overview of new developments that are
reshaping the legal landscape in the area of cyber liability. Then you can
ask questions on the topics they discussed or any others that you feel are
related. In addition, Hal Pomeranz of the Center for Internet Security
will give you an update on the newest Gold Standards for safe
configuration agreed to by the US government and industrial leaders, and
the legal experts will discuss their potential applicability in limiting
liability.  As well as Charles Woods, Independent Information Security
Consultant & Researcher, InfoSecurity Infrastructure, Inc. will be
discussing Clarifying Responsibility For Information Security.

Enjoy.
D.

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              |                                     |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |                                     |