Linux on sparc64

Kevin Hodle kevinh at aos5.com
Sat Apr 19 00:25:56 CDT 2003

Also, if numa or anyone else has any 50ns 168-pin ECC JEDEC DIMMs, or any UltrasparcIIi processors
> 270Mhz, I will trade my first born whenever it comes along (I can also trade $$ or other
componenets :).

Kevin Hodle
Alexander Open Systems
Network Operations Center
(913)-307-2366
kevinh at aos5.com

familiar w/ the ultrasparc family, this is a uniprocessor workstation utilizing PCI and ATA
architectures instead of SBUS/SCSI.. I was able to drop a new 40 gig ultraATA hard drive in it with
no problems (no problems for debian anyway).

> Here are afew other flavors/OS's I have tried to throw on the thing:
>
> - Aurora (someone mentioned it, it is basically an updated version of the original redhat 6 sparc
release)> ...>  I had problems with it.  It would fully lock the system during HD partitioning
(manual or autopartitioning)
> - FreeBSD 5 sparc version.. Seemed like it would work okay, but the initial setup screens prompt
you to select terminal emulation, and 'sun' is not one of the options (seems strange since it was
the sparc release).. I tried ANSI/VT100/VT220 and they all either completely mangled the screen
output or would not properly accept input from the arrow keys, required to navigate installation
menus, VERY annoying.
> - OpenBSD sparc, failed to detect any HD (?? Clueless on this one, maybe because of the new ATA
drive I added)
> - Mandrake 7.3 sparc edition, installed and worked flawlessly, but I love apt-get.
>
> I was thinking about installing gentoo sparc release, but the installation notes seem to be
crappy and I've heard bad things about its support for X windows on sparc'n (if anyone has gentoo
on a sparc64 and has gotten X windows running, let me know!).

> I have installed solaris 9 on it before, with no problems on the new HD.
>
> Maybe some of the problems I am experiencing are because I need to flash my promlib with the
latest version, but I havent read up on how to do this under linux (anyone have any how-to URLs
handy?)