[OT] Revolution OS - VERY interesting piece of software

Mick Ohrberg mick at ohrberg.org
Sat Apr 12 08:48:52 CDT 2003

Yes, I refer to the 'movie' as software... I just watched it. Got it for my 30th birthday. There's
some amazing information being spread in this movie. For instance - there is no pure 'LINUX' system
(which, by the way, Linus once and for all establishes how it should be pronounced).

What's more interesting though, is a website I decided to visit after viewing the disk.
opensource.org! Some fascinating facts on this site, especially if you decide to read the annotated
version of the so called Halloween documents - a series of internal Microsoft documents what were
'leaked'. I can highly recommend reading http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween1.php - the
first of the leaked documents. There are some REALLY interesting annotations in there. For
instance, the Microsoft document says:

"In other words, to understand how to compete against [Open Source Software], we must target a
process rather than a company."

To this, Eric Raymond comments:

"This is a very important insight, one I wish Microsoft had missed. The real battle isn't NT vs.
Linux, or Microsoft vs. Red Hat/Caldera/S.u.S.E. -- it's closed-source development versus
open-source. The cathedral versus the bazaar.

This applies in reverse as well, which is why bashing Microsoft qua Microsoft misses the point --
they're a symptom, not the disease itself. I wish more Linux hackers understood this.

On a practical level, this insight means we can expect Microsoft's propaganda machine to be
directed against the process and culture of open source, rather than specific competitors. Brace
for it... "

Meaning - quit bashing Microsoft - they're just the unsightly (and painful) fever blister. To
really fight this, the underlying bug has to be exterminated.

The author of the Microsoft document goes on to admin that:

"Loosely applied to the vernacular of the software industry, a product/process is long-term
credible if FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

OSS is Long-Term Credible"

Which means that it is accepted that Microsoft can't use the 'uuuuh linux sux' mentality.

There are (way) too many MSFT-isms to repeat here, but I encourage you to reat the document. VERY
interesting reading.

/Mick

--
____/|