Linux and SBC DSL

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Thu Apr 10 17:16:10 CDT 2003

- | -----Original Message-----
- | From: Hall, Tony, JCW
- |
- | I have a Speedstream external modem, D-Link wireless router...
- | The router
- | has built in PPOE and takes care of the connection completely. Had it
- | connected to SBC within 15 minutes of opening the box, and that includes
- | plugging in everything. After that it doesn't care what OS you
- | are running
- | as long as you have a nic or WiFi. The router is configured through your
- | browser, easy set-up...

Back when I used SBC DSL, I did exactly the same thing with a LinkSys
Router/Switch. It was really "effortless," once I learned what PPPoE was.
Now, with TWC, I actually had to "trick" the DHCP server into thinking that
my LinkSys was my computer. What you have to do is connect to TWC from a
single machine, then note it's MAC Address and enter that into the Router
interface. That way, the Router can masquerade as your computer and TWC
doesn't know you're sharing the connection.

This isn't against the rules - a TWC tech walked me through the process over
the phone. It was almost as simple as PPPoE was.

-SD