Linux and SBC DSL

Eric R. rossiter at discoverynet.com
Thu Apr 10 16:55:30 CDT 2003

Chris Wagner wrote:
> Anyway, I was wondering how much of a chore it is to setup the router
> and get all the boxes sitting behind it to work right.

Not hard sir, tis a breeze actually.

> I realize that I can run DHCP on most routers for the backside, but for
> the purposes that I'm wanting, I'd like to consider running static,
> unless I'm off my rocker and can do everything I want to with DHCP.

If it's just a small home network, static is not hard, or you can
experiment with DHCP at a later time.

> My question is this:
>
> How does the router acquire the IP from Bell?

You should get/have a DSL modem from SBC.  That piece of equipment will
have the IP allocated from SBC.  I'd put the linux firewall/gateway
behind that, at the head of your network.

> Do most routers work with DHCP (as far as negotiating its own IP)?

I believe you'll find your SBC DSL connection will be PPPoE unless they
haven't switched in Independence.  Roaring Penguin is the way to go for
easy connection.

I've installed a linux firewall/gateway at a cust site using RH and RP
on an SBC DSL connection.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris

HTH,

P.S.  There a several of us in Indep. and one member is on SBC's DSL...
so if you need help, don't hesitate to shout.

P.S.S.  Have you seen the ILUG?  http://ilug.org