Never ceases to amaze

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Apr 8 15:23:18 CDT 2003

I have a P III 450 here running W98 that is responsible for grabbing the
pictures off of the digital camera - other than that, it runs SETI.  It would
be running a web cam, but the W98 video drivers go offline if the screensaver
comes up.

I've been thinking of throwing the AMD 900 motherboard that's down in the
basement in there, but I don't have any idea what make or model the motherboard
is, I have no specs and no drivers for it.  If I swap motherboards on a "live"
W98 installation, it's going to have fits about the drivers, and it's unlikely
I'd ever get it running right even if I did a clean installation.

Linux, on the other hand, would be easy.  Set it to boot a generic kernel if
I'd customised, swap boards, and boot.

On CD drives:  Yes, Windows has no trouble with swapping CD drives.  CD-R/RW is
another matter though, the interface is not standardised.  When I shelled out
the money for a full version of EZ CD Creator, now by Roxio, I lost the ability
to use the RW features on my HP drive.  Linux still does both just fine, and at
full available speed.

Speaking of which, Tech TV was attempting to do a pro-manufacturer review of
Roxio's v.6 of that piece of crap, but they couldn't.  The preceeding call-for-
help had just failed to help someone who had trashed his system installing it,
and they had to say that there are reports all over the net that this $80 bomb
will at best not work as expected, at worst will completely trash your hard
drive.