Never ceases to amaze

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Tue Apr 8 09:46:34 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 01:52, Patrick Thurmond wrote:

> 	On the other hand I have been playing with Linux for about 4 or
> 5 years and good solid plug and play has only been available (from what
> I have seen) on Linux for about a year. Up until about RedHat 7 or 8
> have I seen any real no fuss plug and play with device variety on any of
> my systems. Before 7 my system was pretty much hosed if I had to change
> any major components. Linux is making its way to the top and seems to be
> progressing quicker than Windows in the last few years but I am sorry to
> say this... There are just some things WINDOWS is still BETTER at.

As I understand it, OS2 was demonstrating hot plug-and-play of multiple
identical cards in the early nineties.  Microsoft still requires a
rebooting.  I don't know if hotplugging anything other than PCMCIA cards
and disk drives works with linux kernels or not.

I'm also stunned at the similarity between Patrick's and Jim's writing
styles.