Road Runner 550 Unable to Relay Error

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Apr 4 16:20:59 CST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 23:13, Mike Coleman wrote:
> For what it's worth, I'm on RR and have my own domain.  That domain is hosted
> at another ISP and I send my outgoing email straight to them.
>
> I use RR strictly as a fast pipe.  The problem you're having (as well as some
> I've had) may indicate that they're not able or willing to be a good provider
> of other ISP functions.

A problem I'm running into with a residential RR connection is that a
lot of mail servers are starting to block direct SMTP from connections
listed as "dial-up", as RR's pseudo-dynamic IP's are.  That means you
have to have relaying set up on some remote server that has a legitimate
reverse-DNS name.