Everest Residential Service

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Fri Apr 4 14:51:27 CST 2003

Matt,

I might be able to speak to your question.

When I moved back to KC a little over 3 years ago, TWC had not RR service
near me, so SBC DSL was the only option. I was told that my home wasn't
"Red" (no service), but it wasn't "Green" either. I was "Yellow."

The installer came out, played for about 3 days and made DSL work. It was
great.

Then, starting this past January, I began using dslreports.com to regularly
check my speed. Over three months, I found that my download speed was
consistently 160-165 kbps. Yuck. That's awful, especially considering I was
spending $59.99/month for a "guaranteed download speed" of 384 kbps.

When I called them on it, they explained that, since I had fallen out of
sync a number of times, they capped my line at 190 kbps to ensure
connectivity. This might have annoyed me less if they had lowered my bill,
since they do offer a cheaper low-speed plan. So, I switched to TWC and got
RR.

In SBC's favor, they have credited my account for the overages.

But check this out: I was paying $60/month to SBC for broadband and
$25/month to the cable company for "Basic Service." I have since upgraded to
a package they offer called "Digital Tier I" which includes RR and more
channels than I could ever watch (including HBO and the "on-demand"
networks, which blow my mind!). This package is $59.99/month.

Or, put another way, I'm getting broadband at 2000 kbps and a buttload of TV
for $15/month LESS than I was paying before. It was a tough call: Save
$180/year by getting faster internet and more channels? Hmmm.........

Just one guy's story.

(Also, BTW, I checked with Everest before going to TWC. It seems they've
done away with everything but their most complete, most expensive,
all-in-one packages.)

-SD