various items and questions

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Apr 3 15:32:11 CST 2003

Quoting ghldbrd <ghldbrd at ccp.com>:

> First, I'm using SuSE 7.2 / KDE2.  After a wobbly start it seems to have
> settled down.

> 1.  Netscape tends to loose its way or hang after just a few webpages are
> downloaded.  If the program shuts down, I can't restart it, and have to go
> to Konquerer or Mozilla.  Now if I log out back to kwm startup, and re-start
> K Desktop, things reset and I can use Netscape (6.?) again.  Is this a
> Netscape, KDE2, or SuSE thing?  Not expecting a definitive answer, just
> comments and observations.

>From all accounts, Netscape has never been a stable program.  There are live
bugs in it that I remember from Mosaic that were never fixed in the rush to add
features.  As those "features" became more and more commercial linkages to
things like AIM and corporate sites, the bugs remained and the chance of real
problems only grew.

If you have Mozilla available, I would simply ditch Netscape alltogether.  Major
IT News sources have recommended that businesses replace it with Mozilla for
about a year now.