Birch as an ISP

Jason Clinton jasonclinton at kcpipeband.org
Wed Apr 2 15:41:00 CST 2003

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Is anyone using Birch as an ISP, or have any reports, statistics, or
> gossip regarding their service levels?
>
> I'm considering getting a 1 or 1.5 MBit SDSL circuit with them, and
> would like to know if they're a reasonable data service provider, or if
> I should steer clear of them.

I just implemented a 1.5 MBit SDSL line with a non-profit I do contract
work with. The install tech was only semi-knowledgable, but he got the
job done. They're paying $300/mo w/ a two year contract. I don't know if
this was just default or someone though I specified that I wanted it
(which is fine) but, they implemented a firewall without asking. It
actually turned out fine. The one caveat is that you are now allowed to
access the configuration telnet interface for the DSL
router/firewall/modem. So, if you want some ports forwarded, you have to
call them and ask them to do it remotely.

Their customer service has been excellent so far and I've never had to
wait to get to a representative. All the reps have been knowledgable, too.

That said, I've heard good things about Everest, too. I have SBC right
now (locked in to a one-year contract) and I _hate_ their service.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.