Wine, Whine, installs, and the like

Steev Johnson Steve at SuperCub.org
Thu Nov 8 20:37:18 CST 2001

Now see, when I teach the guitar I always give people the secret
handshakes, it makes the go 0-60 in no time!

sj

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Densmore [mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 2:28 PM
To: Steve at SuperCub.org; kclug at kclug.org
Subject: RE: Wine, Whine, installs, and the like

-----Original Message-----
From: Steev Johnson [mailto:Steve at SuperCub.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 1:46 PM
To: kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Wine, Whine, installs, and the like

>Is there a secret handshake that I am missing?
Ssh folks! Don't reveal anything! There is an imposter amongst us. He
doesn't know the secret handshake.

> Ok,
> I saw the posts on WINE and I thought about the fact that the only way
I can bear installing
> software on Linux is to drink some wine first.  Now before you all get
your proverbial
> underwear all twisted up, let my state my case.  Evil empires and
costs aside, one of the
> biggest complaints a sysop has about Windows in all of it derivations
is that when you install
> something it buries files around the hard drive and registry like
squirrels hiding nuts for
> winter.  Well, so does Linux.  [snip rest of whining]

One major difference here, though. Three words "Windows System
Registry". I would rather dig through the file system on any OS looking
for files than try to decipher the Registry. There are some things that
can be found easily enough and modified. But other things are so
cryptically hidden or net even documented that it is near impossible to
discover, never the less fix. Linux has a long way to go yet before it
is "idiot proof".

def: Idiot proof (n) - A battle between engineers (trying to make bigger
better easier to use tools) and the Universe (striving to build bigger
and better idiots). So far the Universe is winning.

I generally require liberal amounts of whiskey before installing
anything on Linux. I also have been around since the near-dawn age of
computers and have extensive programming and hardware knowledge (or at
least I used to think so).