Qbasic 1

Franklin, Joel jdfranklin.public at moheck.com
Thu Nov 8 21:11:24 CST 2001

I can't believe you've missing the Apraphulians. The Apraphulians devised
the earliest known digital computational device. IIRC, their civilization
flourished and died in South America before the arrival of Columbus. It
reached such heights of complexity that the ruling priesthood required
automated computational machines to assist them in overseeing the empire.

Early excavation of Apraphulian sites uncovered acres-wide systems of ropes,
pulleys, and springs. Careful examination revealed that these were
configured to act as AND gates and OR gates. Power for the rope system was
provided apparently provided by elephants or mammoths, judging by bones were
found on the site.

If you're interested, you can read more about the Apraphulians in Scientific
American, April 1987. Or maybe April 1988. I forget which.

Joel Franklin
Network Analyst
P.S. I get it.