LAMP Server Performance Advice / Job Offer

J. Wade Michaelis jwade at userfriendlytech.net
Thu Jan 24 11:41:25 CST 2013

On 1/18/2013 10:48 PM, gardner at ns1.forge.name wrote:
> Are you seeing core dumps?
Yes (at least, on this last crash, there were several dumps).

> Are you tracking the number of threads running?
I'm not certain how to do that.  One of my issues is that when it
freezes, I can't get any information.  The only way I've found to get it
back online is to perform a hard reset.  All performance stats when the
server is running fine appear to be very low impact.
> Are you looking to see how much memory is used by ppid?
I had hoped that Sysstat would give me this information over time, but
when I needed it, that particular report was corrupt, and unreadable
(ie. useless).
> Look at your logs.  What do you see on start-up?
Looks normal.
> What about when you stop apache... anything interesting in the logs there?
Nothing that looks interesting to me.
> Is it just something as simple as running out of drive space?
I've checked, and no, that's not it.
> Have you trimmed down your various http.conf files to only what you need and ditch a bunch of modules you don't need?
I'm unclear on exactly what I need and what I don't, so no, I haven't.
> Is it a version of apache that just has a bug in it?  Do you need to build your own or possibly if you have built your own do you need to use a "stock" apache?
How would I find that out?  I'm using the CentOS stock Apache now.
> There are just so many things that can be done.
>
> I'm very willing to look into this with you.  Hit me up via my work email: jeffrey.gardner at sprint dot com
Please let me know when you are available.  My boss is anxious to get
these resolved, and thus pacify our client.

I really appreciate your willingness to assist me in this.

~ jay