In memoriam: Randy Rathbun

Kelsay, Brian - OCIO-ITS, Kansas City, MO Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Sep 5 09:40:00 CDT 2012

Some of you may remember that Randy ran a site called Astrodot.org for a couple years using the Slashdot.org code.  He ran it as a discussion forum for news about astronomy and man-made spacecraft.   He was very involved in KC Astronomy group and ran some Linux controlled observing software.

As you can see from his call-sign in the previous email, he was involved in shortwave radio, also using Linux to interface with that hobby and its equipment.  I recall him doing something with tracking satellites and bouncing shortwave radio off of them.

Randy was one of the guys that was there when I first learned networking at the LUG and I recall him helping me out a time or two with computer problems.
He was a very giving individual, willing to take the time to help a new Linux user understand how a complex system worked.
He gave of his time and his older computer equipment, as I'm sure many of us have done, to help someone new to the computer hobby/industry.

Brian Kelsay