iOS application on Linux

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 12:56:35 CST 2011

You forgot one thing, or two, in the list that Apple checks for.

Here let me fix that:
Apple checks for:
Known Malware
Battery Usage (To maintain a good mobile experience to Apple's own customers)
Performance
Quality
Excessive problems
Feature completeness
Applications that compete with Apple made Apps
Applications that conflict with Apple's approved list
Applications written by Google
Adult applications
Application of the day to remove just because they can.

There. I don't have any Apple iAnything, but do monitor the news (not just /.). Apple has removed lots of popular, feature-rich, stable, applications that didn't meet any of your lists issues. With Apple it is and will continue to be about control. There is some good to some of the control they go for, but it tends to be a bit over the top, for me. Don't get me wrong, they make good stuff. They are concerned with quality, but even they fall down sometimes.

But see your second paragraph is what really bothers me about Apple. Linux is no less a workable and stable development environment than OSX, there is no technical reason why I should not be able to develop Windows, OSX, BSD, iPhone, etc in Linux.

I understand, the need for spending money on a dev environment. I have thousands and thousands invested in such things for my company. But unemployed teenagers don't have that luxury.
Should he develop some talent and a real desire, and commitment to doing such development, I might invest in something for him. I avoid EULAs as much as I can.
Which is why any EULA is in my company name, and company owned, and I have a contract with my company specifying I am not personally bound by any EULA or choices of the company, outside of the company.

As long as I do not use company software for personal development, I am in the clear. And I don't. I've switched over to as much FOSS in my company as I can.

PS, your options are limited as long as you are under NDAs and EULAs.

Thanks,
Jack