KCLUG Digest, Vol 87, Issue 4

Andrew Beals andrew.beals at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:30:00 CST 2011

The SDK for Android is free.  It runs under Eclipse, which is also free.
Ease-of-use by platform, in descending order: Mac, Linux, Winderz.

Macs automagically find all Android devices connected via USB.
Linux may need a wee bit of tweaking in /etc one-time in order to get a
device set right and recognized as an Android device.
Winderz devices require a driver from the device manufacturer.
(Probability of being able to use a cheap generic Chinese tablet: epsilon)

All you need is root access (I believe) and a USB connection in order to
install new apps from your computer.

The Amazon Android App Store is $99/year, which they're waiving for the
first year.

https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html

Claimer:
I've written Android apps and deployed them to a cheap Chinese tablet from
my Hackintosh.  I've watched the SDK fail to find it from Winderz.  I
haven't tried it on Linux, although I installed the dev tools without
problem on Ubuntu 10.4 LTS.