most commonly used Linux version?

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 18:00:12 CDT 2011

I'll add my two cents.

It's going to be awful hard to pin down a number. RH probably makes the most money in the server market, but debian servers are frequently free.

How are you going to account for numbers? Especially if the server is set up not to report the distro?

My server runs on debian, straight and pure. Why? Stability. I maintain it, and it the one distro I haven't broken to a point I need to format and re-install. I've borked RH, Mandriva and just hated the package management in SuSE. I've bought retail versions of all of those.

That said, I can see how big companies would lean to RH or SuSE or such over debian. I can't even imagine building a Ubuntu server. Madness, sheer madness.

JMNSHO,
Jack