Gnome configuration question

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:15:33 CDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:40, Haworth, Michael A.
<Michael_Haworth at pas-technologies.com> wrote:
> OK, so I have a desktop and a laptop that are both running 64-bit Fedora 14.
> The desktop has three screens and is using Xinerama, the laptop only has
> one…

I'm not sure what thas has to do with your gnome conf.

> I would really like to copy my gnome configurations from the desktop to the
> laptop – allowing me to (hopefully) have a seamless experience between the
> two machines. If possible, I would even like to copy the packages (and their
> configs) from one machine to another and then set up some way to sync them
> during the day…

What 'seams' are you seeing?  If you just, literally, mean gnome and
nautilus' settings, check out the . dirs in your homedir.  All gnome
config is backed in hidden files/dirs there.

Let the system sit for a couple minutes, with nothing else running.
Then make your changes and only your changes, and immediately use gnu
find to identify the places in your homedir that changed in the last 5
minutes. a la:
[bcrook at Cleveland ~]$ find ~ -cmin -5
/home/bcrook/.ssh
/home/bcrook/.ssh/authorized_keys

(this box, I had just added a key to while writing this email.)

Once you know what files are changing, take a look at the whole dir
that contains them, and see if it might make sense to sync that whole
dir.

Additionally of note:
You might be interested in setting up synergy2 over ssh, so that your
desktop's mouse and keyboard, can control your laptop when it is
online, on the same network as the desktop.  The mouse pointer
literally drifts right off the edge of your desktop onto the laptop.
How's that for seamless?

Once you have key-based passwordless ssh set up between them, and
synergy2 working via CLI, if you're interested, I'll dig up and post
my synergy "daemon" script that reconnects automatically as soon as
the laptop is available on wifi.

> I’m not looking to make a major project out of doing this, just wanting to
> know if either part is feasible and if there are any (relatively) simple
> ways of going about it w/out totally borking one machine or the other.

You might also look at the gnome-conduit program, but I think it has
more to do with synchronizing user content, not gnome settings.  It's
been a while since I looked at it though.

And if you want really awesome news, know that whatever you set up
now, will be/is already obsolete, because I'm sure the current gnome
stores things WAY differently than Gnome2.