most commonly used Linux version?

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:05:35 CDT 2011

Distrowatch.com

Far and away the most commmon desktop distro is  Ubuntu. The proper one you
want to start with really depends on what you plan to do with it and what
level of general tech experience you already have. There is a vast
difference between "install, update and forget it" distros and "tweak the
hell out of it" distros. For and install and go desktop Linux Mint might be
easiest. While Gentoo or Arch would be the fiddly tweakers paradise.

A bit more description/background might be in order instead of just shooting
for the most popular.