WD portable hard drive question

Hal Duston hald at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 30 09:56:15 CST 2010

Around July 2009 I purchased a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent XTreme from
Microcenter for somewhere around $80-$90.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148350

I've been using it as my boot/root/home for my Sprint laptop since the
first of the year, and for the most part it's worked quite well.
Occasionally I've had to power cycle (unplug) the unit in order for it
to show up in the boot list and very rarely it "pauses" for up to 5-10
seconds before recovering.  This probably would not be as big a deal
except for the fact that I'm using it as my ONLY drive.  I'm wondering
if it isn't really intended to be powered nearly 24/7/365.

Thanks,
--
Hal
hald at kc.rr.com