WD portable hard drive question

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 02:09:47 CST 2010

I was browsing the stuff at the Walmart in Lee's Summit and they have
the WDBAAA5000ABK
( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=700 ) for $50, half
MSRP and $10 cheaper than Microcenter. I might stop by again to verify the
model number. This is the newer design with the USB controller integrated to
the drive's mainboard and some reviews mention a high power draw over the
single USB port for some machines. It's also got some sort of VCD thing
going with the WD SmartWare crapware on it. Anyone used one of these under
Linux or other UNIXy OS and have any tips? The $50 is pretty dang cheap for
a half terabyte of portable storage, but it's not cheap enough to have a
boat anchor laying around.

Jon.