iftop command

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:42:21 CDT 2010

Recently I had a ton of network traffic going in and out of my machine and I
couldn't figure out why.  A co-worker pointed me to this tool:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/iftop/

It's apparently at least 4 years old, and may be well known to a bunch of
folks this email will reach, but it was new to me and I found it useful, so
I thought I'd share.

Does anyone know of a tool that tells you which process is generating
network traffic?  iftop just shows which hosts it's going to/from, which was
enough for me to figure out who the culprit was in this case.

Kendric Beachey