"How do you deal with difficult people?"

Sean Crago cragos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 13:29:41 CDT 2009

That sounds like a pretty typical question to me. I've never asked it,
but I've heard it in interviews a time or two, including the interview
for my current gig. Common variations replace "difficult people" with
"inappropriate/impossible requests" etc.

For the whole class of questions like this, you're generally much
better off briefly retelling and analyzing a narrative about a past
situation than jumping straight into the platitudes. As the great
Admiral would point out, though, it's a trap - Don't go negative, and
make sure your answer stresses the professionalism and calm, friendly
manner you've dealt with these issues in the past.

Sean Crago

PS: My apologies for the blank message that preceded this - Gmail+tiny
pipe glitch.