LVM help

Clayton, C. Ben bcclayton at butlermfg.com
Mon Feb 9 12:38:34 CST 2009

First off this is my first post so I apologize ahead of time if this is
the wrong place for this.  Linux administration is a secondary skill so
I was hoping I get some advice.

We're getting ready to install a new database server into our
enviornment.  It's meant to replace our current database server.  We
have a Hitachi SAN that stores the database files.  We currently have 2
databases on the server.  Each database has it's own Physical Group of
about 12 LUNS.  The LUNs are multipathed with HDLM.

The plan is to install Red Hat 4.6 on the new server and try to get it
configured identically to the current production box.  That way we can
present the LUNs with the database information already on it.  This gets
around the need to restore from backups.  Time is sensitive because we
have a 4 hour maintainance window.  We also want to split the databases
so that they are on different machines.

What I'm unsure of, is when I change the zoning so the new server sees
the LUNs will LVM pick up the Volume Group from LUNs?  I was going to
try to copy the LVM configuration from the original server, but I was
worried that the multipathing would be an issue since we're dropping the
total number of LUNs when we split the Volume Groups.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben